BLUE INC CASTING


Walking into a room full of people knowing that every person is here wanting the same thing is always daunting. I had to keep telling myself not to give up because I'll never make it if not, we all have to start somewhere. I strut up to the desk full of confidence ... well pretending anyways (thank god I've had acting classes) and tell them I was here for the casting. “Name? Age?”. Before I could even say 'Oh its spelt ...' He had already wrote on a sticky label 'Lauren'. Understandable yet annoying. After being handed two forms, I head for the waiting area to find a seat. While looking for a seat I could see every girls' eyes analysing my outfit, body shape and looks. I can only describe that moment as the scene from Mean Girls where Cady imagines how everyone would act in a similar situation if we all were animals.

The forms were pretty standard until I turned the page over and saw “What's your best drunken story?” and “How do you pull on a night out?”. As I've attended two Universities, and after four years believe me I have plenty of stories of me and my friends. Yet it just so happens when I put pen to paper I couldn't think of one! Ok, next question, how do I pull? Being a dancer when I see a hot guy in the club I give them the eye and twerk a little (Ok more like I put Miley Cyrus to shame). Hmm, doesn't sound too exciting. Think Loren think! Ten minutes later I managed to pull something together and start to queue. Five minutes ... 20 minutes ... an hour ... two hours, I finally made it to the front of the line. One by one we had four photos taken in this photo booth. The lighting was too bright and we all know that we don't take the most flattering photos in photo booths. However I made it to the next stage.

Here we had a short photo shoot in front of a board covered with the Blue Inc logo. Thankfully this was with a photographer which is something I'm a lot more used to. I had to do head shots, full lengths, poses and photos for their Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. Only a few people were selected to be placed on their social media accounts. As I sat down waiting to hear whether I had made it to the next stage, I suddenly get Instagram and Facebook notifications and a tweet from Blue Inc. Yes!  This was a defiant confidence boost. I was then called into another room where I was told the next stage consisted of an interview in front of a panel.

“Next!” Right Ok, deep breath! I open the door and it looked like I was about to audition for Britain's Got Talent. With a big 'confident' smile I made sure I made eye contact with every judge. Thankfully there wasn't a Simon Cowell character as they were all so friendly. “Tell us a bit about yourself.” I replied “Erm well I've just finished my Masters degree and I am a professional dancer in music videos.” Damn, was I meant to mention my previous modelling work? Was it too predictable to talk about that? Should I have not mentioned I already have a job in a different area? God knows, but it was too late anyways. After a few questions about the artists I had worked with, they scribbled 'Philip' on my form (I still have no idea who Philip is) and I was allowed to leave. Handing my form to a worker I was sent into yet another room.

Turns out there was two rooms that people were sent to. One for good news and one for bad. Looking at the others in the room I was trying to work out whether we were the type of people they could be looking for. After ten minutes or so the judges walked in. My heart started to speed up and then one of the judges started to speak. “I'm sorry but we are looking for someone with attitude.” Ok I'm 5 foot 1, look about 16 and have a floral top on. Not really giving off attitude. The only thing 'attitude' about me is that I have a tattoo. Who am I kidding, its a small outline of a star, not very rock and roll. However after a long day involving plenty of waiting I left and headed for Oxford Street. It was a good experience and in this industry every successful super model has had plenty of rejections. So don't worry Blue Inc, you haven't seen the last of me!






No comments:

Post a Comment